To Top

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have questions about personal injury and the law, it’s likely we have the answers. Kurgis & Associates wants to make sure you get the justice you deserve. Here, you’ll be able to find replies to some of the most common questions we hear about on a regular basis.

Simply click to find FAQs on the following areas:

Motor Vehicle Accidents FAQs

What constitutes a personal injury case?

If you are injured as the result of the negligence, recklessness, malpractice, or inaction of someone else, you could have a personal injury case. Personal injury cases can result from automobile accidents, accidents in the workplace, or dog bites. You may be entitled to damages—or a financial settlement—to compensate you for any physical and emotional injuries you have suffered or property damages that you have incurred. Kurgis & Associates focuses on helping personal injury victims win the best possible settlements. Contact us to learn more.

What should I do if I’m injured in an accident?

If you are injured in an accident that someone else is legally responsible for causing, you may want to consider pursing a personal injury lawsuit. To review your options, contact Kurgis & Associates. There is no charge for your initial meeting in our office.

What if an insurance representative asks me to make a recorded statement?

Before you say something on the record—even to an adjuster from your own insurance company—you should contact Kurgis & Associates. We can help ensure that you don’t say something that could be used against you or that could prevent you from collecting the damages you are legally due.

How long after an automobile accident do I have to file a personal injury claim?

The statute of limitations for personal injuries in automobile accidents is generally two years from the date of the accident, however, each situation is different.

What should I do if I’m injured in an automobile accident?

Most importantly, you should get prompt medical attention. You should also contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Failure to do this could cause the insurance company to try and deny you coverage for the accident. Make sure that a police report has been filed. You may also want to contact Kurgis & Associates to discuss your specific rights under Ohio’s laws.

What kind of information will my lawyer want about the accident?

Collect as much information as possible before leaving the scene of a car accident. At a minimum, you will want to get the names, addresses, driver’s license numbers, and insurance company information of all drivers involved in the accident. You will also want to get the names and contact information for any witnesses. Your lawyer will want to know when, where, and how the accident occurred and what injuries and damages were sustained.

Does Ohio have no-fault or at-fault liability laws, and how do they affect my case?

Ohio is not a No-fault state. That means that the party responsible for the car accident will also be responsible for paying damages to the others involved in the accident. As a result of Ohio’s at-fault liability laws, each driver must have state minimum insurance coverage with a policy limit of at least $25,000.00 in coverage.

Property Damage FAQs

My car is wrecked, what am I going to do?

Steps to Take to Resolve your Property Damage Issues:

  1. If the at-fault insurance company has accepted liability:
    1. Get at least two (2) estimates for the damage to the vehicle.
    2. Make arrangements for the car to be inspected by the at-fault insurance company.
    3. Find a body shop, of your choice, to fix your vehicle.
    4. Make an appointment to drop off car and get a rental car.
  2.  If the at-fault insurance company has NOT accepted liability:
    1. If the car is driveable or not, you need to go through your own insurance carrier to get your car fixed as well as obtain a rental car you have full coverage insurance. You WILL be liable for your own deductible until the other insurance company accepts liability.
    2. If you have only liability insurance on your vehicle and a rental car is needed, you need to pay and keep your receipts with hopes of future reimbursement from the alleged at-fault insurance company.
  3. If the car has been towed, you should pay to have the car released from impound or storage yard and pay the tow bill to minimize possible storage fees. This will more than likely be reimbursed from the at-fault insurance company once liability has been accepted.
  4. If the at-fault person does not have insurance and you have liability only without uninsured motorists coverage on your policy, your car will not be fixed by any insurance company.
  5. If the liability has been denied and your case had to go to court, you will have to wait to have your car repaired unless you have full coverage insurance. This process can be very lengthy.
  6. When getting a rental car:
    1. The insurance company is liable to pay for the rental vehicle ONLY, you are responsible for the insurance on the rental car unless your own automobile insurance will cover the rental car.
    2. If you have liability insurance only, you will have to pay between $15 and $20 daily to upgrade your insurance to full coverage.
    3. If you have no insurance, you will have to pay approximately $25-30 daily for the insurance.

Workplace Injuries FAQs

Do I need an attorney if I’m injured at work?

The Ohio’s Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) is designed to help protect your rights if you are injured at work. However, if your claim is contested and if you need to appear in front of the Industrial Commission for a hearing, you may want to hire a lawyer to make sure your interests are protected. Contact Kurgis & Associates. There is no charge for your initial meeting in our office.

Can I appeal a decision made by the Industrial Commission?

There are very complicated steps to ensure that your claim is handled properly through the Administrative procedure and it may be prudent to have legal assistance from the onset. Contact Kurgis & Associates to see how we can help.

How long do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim?

The statute of limitations applicable to workers’ compensation claims in Ohio is based on the situation. To ensure the best results for your claim and your case, you should report your injury and file your claim as soon as possible.

Dog Bite FAQs

Can Ohio animal owners be held liable if their pets bite?

Generally, yes. If a dog or other animal causes injury, death, or loss to a person or to property, the dog owner is responsible. There are exceptions to this rule. For example, if the injured person was attempting to trespass at the time he was bitten or if the person was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the animal, the animal’s owner may not be held liable. That being said, as long as you are not doing anything illegal at the time of the bite and as long as you are not provoking the animal, the animal’s owner is responsible for any damages you suffer due to a dog bite or animal attack. To better understand how the law applies to your specific case, contact Kurgis & Associates.

What should I do if a dog or another animal bites me?

The first thing you should do it seek medical attention. Getting the proper medical care as quickly as possible can minimize the damage from the bite. You should file a dog bite report with the appropriate legal authority (such as the police department or the local animal control office) as quickly as possible. You should also take photographs of the bite to assist with any future legal claims you may file. For more information about your legal rights, contact Kurgis & Associates for a free consultation.

What information will my lawyer need about the dog bite incident?

Your lawyer will be able to build the most effective case if he or she is provided with detailed information about the incident. Make sure you get the name and number of the animal’s owner and contact information for any witnesses. Your lawyer will also want to know when and where the dog bite occurred and any other details about the situation.

How long do I have to file a dog bite claim?

The statute of limitations for dog bites is two years. It’s best to file your claim as soon as possible.